- Rava/semolina -11/2 cup
- Curd -1 cup
- Water ½ cup
- Salt as required
- Coconut pieces (optional)
- Cashew nuts broken – (optional)
- Tomato 1 lager (sliced 10 -12)
- Carrot – (grated optional)
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Baking powder ½ tsp
- For the seasoning
- Oil -1 tbsp.
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – a pinch
- Urad dal/ beeri dal – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 2 finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 inch piece finely chopped
- Curry leaves – few
- Turmeric powder – 1 pinch (optional)
Process of Cooking
Heat oil in a pan adds mustard seeds, when mustard splutters, add hing and urad dal.
When dal changes color, add ginger, green chili and curry leaves lastly turmeric powder.
Then add rava and roast it nicely for a few minutes.
Allow it to cool. After it cools, add curd, carrot, and baking soda, baking powder, needed salt. Add water little by little and mix it well without lumps. The consistency of the rava idli batter. The batter required to get a medium consistency batter, which is neither thick nor thin.
Let the rava idli batter rest for 15-20 minutes. Then greas the idli moulds oil or ghee.
The greased idle moulds first put tomato slice, cashew, coconut pieces after pour it on idli batter. & steam cook for 10-12 minutes just as you do for normal idlis.
Source – Internet