DIFFERENT TYPE OF SEVAKS
Chatisa yoga refers to to the 36 categories of servitors (Sevaks) who are further divided in to several classes. How ever a detailed lists of the various kinds of Sevas and Sevaks are given here for the reference of the devotees.
1. Raja of Puri – Superintendent and at present one of the member of the Temple Committee
2. Mudiratha or Mudirasta – He officiates for the Raja in Cherapanhara and other functions when the Raja is prevented from performing them for some reason or other
3. Chatisha Nijoga Nayak Patjoshi Mahapatra and Bhandar Nayak – He had vast power and functions in the past but many have dis appeared at present. He is of the Pasupalak class and had the key of the Bhandar till 1930. He is to execute all orders of the Temple authorities and to see that all the Sevaks do their duties properly. Performs Sari Bandha ceremony.
4. Charchiat sees that the nitis are performed regularly.
5. Brahmins or Purohits including Deula Purohits make Ratha Anukula, Abhiseka etc. Sri Bimala Pujaka performs Puja in Shola Puja and Shrotriya. Brahmins are deputed for Nabakalevar to perform as Acharya and the various other other ceremonies.
6. Pujaks consisting of Puja pandas perform Puja that is Naivedya for the Deities. Bada Panda is also a Puja Panda appointed to see that other Puja Pandas perform their duties regularly.
7. Daitas work on Special Occasions like Nabakalebar, Car Festival, and Anabasar etc.
8. Patis work with Daitas but who have got other special functions, being Brahmin Sevakas.
9. Duttas work for Srimukh Simhar.
10. Khuntias of various kind like Palia Khuntia, Behera Khuntia, Bilaijaga Khutia, and Rukuna Barana Khuntia etc. Their main duty being to pronounce Manima Daka etc and watch their Deities.
11. Changada Mekap in charge of Deities clothes and other Mekaps like Palia Mekap have specific duties to perform. Akhanda Mekap is to light Ratna Dipa of the Deities from Dwarafita to Pahuda.
12. Padhiaris guard the Deities, go to call for Bhogas and are to look to the safety of the Pilgrims.
13. Gochikars belong to Padhiari class who watch Jaya- Bijaya Dwara.
14. Binakar plays Bina to the Deities before they go to sleep.
15. Bhitara Gayeni sings songs at the time of Pahuda and other festivals.
16. Samprada Nijoga that is dancing girls who dance at the time of Patuara.
17. Madeli plays Madala at the time of Patuara.
18. Sankhua plays with Sankha with Baijayantries.
19. Kahalia blows Vije Kahalia.
20. Ghantua and Ghanta Nijoga work with Bells daily and on Festivals.
21. Amonia Chatara – Chatara, Taras, Kalakanati Sevakas – for carrying umbrellas at Festivals etc.
22. Gitagovinda Sevakas recites Gitagovinda before the Lord at Chandan Lagi.
23. Chakara Dihuri and Chhamu Dihuri carry Masala at Festivals etc.
24. The Simharis or Pasupalaks dress the lords in clothing are and adorn them with flowers at all times and perform the Avakash Puja.
25. Suara Badus (Bhog Saita Suara Badu, Behera Suara Badu) wash the Pokharia several times, supply Khata, Chauki etc.
26. Bhitarcho Mahapatra – He is the first man to go for Dwarafita Ceremony (Opening of the door) and to examine the seals, perform Sari Bandha ceremony and checks the purity of the Bhogas offered.
27. Talicho Mahapatra – He seals doors at Night Pahuda (Retiring to be) and controls and checks the purity of the Kitchen.
28. Parichas – Parichas were at one time managing the Temple whose work is now reduced at present to hold a gold cane at the Sakala Dhupa and in certain festivals.
29. Bhandar Mekap – In charge of bahara Bhandar containing all the Jewelries etc. required for the daily use of the Deities.
30. Deul Karana – He keeps accounts of the Bhandar, Changada Gharas, transfer of Seva and distributes Parvani Kheis.
31. Tada Karana – He keeps accounts of the Bhandar and as Tadau puts seals in functions when required and puts dates about all Nitis.
32. Various other kinds of Karanas who keep accounts and distribute Kheis.
33. Patri Badus supply Puja Upakaranas through out the day.
34. Gara Badu serve the Gods by supplying water at times of Puja and other Nitis.
35. Sudha Suara and Anasara Sudha Suar makew preparations for Puja.(Pujathan at Ballav Bhoga etc.)
36. Muduli keeps charge of Puja utensils and other daily Puja Upakaranas and supplies to Mekapas.
37. Hadapa Nayak, Bidia and Tambul Sevaks serve to prepare and carry betel to the Lords.
38. Ghatuaris to prepare and serve Anjana, chandan and Mahadipa for daily and Parbajatra Nitis.
39. Tulasia supplies Tulsi leaves daily. 40. Dw Malis supply daily scented flowers.
41. Mahabhoi supplies curd and other milk food products.
42. Pani Apata supplies water required in the Temple throughout the Day.
43. Balita Sevakas supplies Arati Balita.
44. Kumbhar Bishoi supplies Handi and Kudua and other Pottery required daily.
45. Doudia supplies rope to draw water from Shri Bimala well.
46. Malacula Sevak Supplies Chula etc for some festival.
47. Mulia Suansia supplies khata Pidha etc.
48. Joganias for Kotha Bhoga, Parvajatra, Ballav and Bahar Deuli to carry articles and Ballav and supply them at required placeses.
49. bimanbadus carry all Bije Bimans.
50. Chapa Behera and Dolias work to prepare Chapas.
51. Ratha Bhois work and supply laborers for construction of Cars.
52. Kalabethias drag the cars.
53. Kararias or Sawers work for construction of Cars.
54. Tamra Bishoi works as copper smith in Car Festival.
55. Citrakaras and Rupakars colour and prepare Pratimas for decoration of Cars.
56. Ojha Maharana works as Blacksmith.
57. Ratha Dahuka signs bawdly songs on Cars.
58. Banua supplies fire works when required.
59. Chaka Abasara Sevaka keeps their charge from Tailors.
60. Mandni ties Chandua when required.
61. Koma Suamsia works as labourers to prepare huts, chamudias at all festivals.
62. Suna Goswami draws water from Suna Kua on Snana Purnima.
63. Darjis stitch clothes, chaka Apasar etc.
64. Prepares Silk ropes.
65. Banhei carpenters work for cars and Chapas.
66. Panikunda Sevaks, Lugadhua and Mahasethi work to wash Deities clothes.
67. Bania prepares and repairs Ornaments.
68. Badu, Tatua and Patara bandha work in sending Tata to Raja or Superintendent.
69. Badu, Tatua and Patara bandha work in sending Tata to Raja or Superintendent.
70. Badu, Tatua and Patara bandha work in sending Tata to Raja or Superintendent.
71. Mukhapakhala prepares Tooth sticks for the Deities.
72. Khatuli Sevaks puts Khatuli for Avakasha Puja.
73. Darpania supplies Darpan and also cleans Deities Utensils.
74. Vaidya or Doctor gives Medicine at Anabasar to the Lord.
75. Jyotisha or Astrologer daily reads Titles etc before the Lord at Avakasha Puja.
76. Chinaras serve for Garuda.
77. Lenka works to call Sevaks.
78. Pradhani works to call Pandas and has other duties and distributes Kheis at Mukti Mandap.
79. Paikas with their heads, Dalei and Dalabeheras are to stay throughout day and night and work according to orders of Temple authorities.
80. Temple Police guard the Temple.
81. The Mahasuaras take first “Chheka” to the Panti.
82. Suaras of various categories known by different names according to nature of duties. Who cook and prepare Bhoga like Badu Sdara, Pitha Suara, Chuna Suara, Thali Suara, Amalu Suara, Bindua, Pagua, Amalu Toli, Tola Badu and tula Bati that is Show Light
83. Rosa Amina and Rosh Paika watch and supervise the Kitchen.
84. Handi Jogania supplies pots for Bhogas.
85. Bahar Deuli suaras cook in Srilaxmi’s Rosha.
86. Rosa Kotha Bhoga Pania supplies waters to kitchen.
87. Panikipata prepares dresses and vegetables.
88. Rasa Nikap prepares Gandhana Article like ginger etc and distributes ghee to some Sevaks.
89. chaulabacha cleans the rice to be cooked.
90. Chuhamunda samaratha, Birimunda Samaratha and Biribuna Samaratha supply rice, flour and ground paste, black gram.
91. Chuhamunda samaratha, Birimunda Samaratha and Biribuna Samaratha supply rice, flour and ground paste, and black gram.
92. Chuhamunda samaratha, Birimunda Samaratha and Biribuna Samaratha supply rice, flour and ground paste, and black gram.
93. Chuhamunda samaratha, Birimunda Samaratha and Biribuna Samaratha supply rice, flour and ground paste, and black gram.
94. Patri Badus carry checkos.
95. Bidias make jmuthmal or checkos ready.
96. Dho-Pakhalia, gobar-Pania, Angarua and Rabadia wash and clean the kitchen and Chulis and supply water for the purpose.
97. Dho-Pakhalia, gobar-Pania, Angarua and Rabadia wash and clean the kitchen and Chulis and supply water for the purpose.
98. Dho-Pakhalia, gobar-Pania, Angarua and Rabadia wash and clean the kitchen and Chulis and supply water for the purpose.
99. Sabuta Nijog has seva on Amavasya days at Swargadwara.
100. Mudra puts mudra at time of putting ceals.
101. Betindhara Paik has seba on festival mitis.
102. The Mahout in the change of the elephants used for Gajapati and for Srimandir, is a Muslim and thus the Mandir have only one Muslim Sevaka